Reminiscence and Resource Centre

TECHNICAL
COLLEGE

ARTIFACTS

BATA RECORD

OPEN DAYS

BATA
REUNITED

BATA-VILLE

REUNION

NEWSLETTER

AROUND
THE WORLD

LINKS

CONTACT US

Re-Dedication of War Memorial

27th April, 2014

A glorious, dry sunny afternoon greeted the Community at East Tilbury on Sunday 27th April for the Rededication of the Bata War Memorial.

Organised by the Bata Reminiscence and Resource Centre, the Service was conducted by Canon Paul Robinson from St Catherine's Church in East Tilbury. Guests included Lord Petre, Lord Lieutenant of Essex, The Mayor and Mayoress of Thurrock, Councillor Tony Fish and Mrs Susan Bradish, Mrs Monica Pignal, granddaughter of Tomas Bata and her son Stanley Pignal.

Around 28 family members from 11 of those named on the Memorial were able to be at the Service. Local Members of Parliament, Stephen Metcalfe and Jacqui Doyle-Price were also present along with a detachment from the Essex Army Cadet Force along with three British Legion Standards.

Thr names of the 81 Bata Employees displayed on the plaques were read out by five schoolchildren from East Tilbury Primary School and three Essex Army Cadets.

Wreaths were laid by the Mayor and Mayoress and Mrs Monica Pignal. The Bata Reminiscence and Resource Centre wreath was laid by Ken Stanley, a 92 year old Bata Pensioner. He had laid a wreath on behalf of the Bata Workforce nearly 59 years before, in July 1955, when the Memorial was first unveiled. The Mayor and Mrs Pignal each gave a short speech.

The Last Post and Reveille were played by Daren Timson-Hunt.

After the Ceremory the attendees moved across to the Village Hall where an Afternoon Tea was provided.

Click here for a copy of the Rededication Service
RE-DEDICATION
Fundraising

Purchases made via this link aid funds for the Reminiscence and Resource Centre.