Joe came to East Tilbury first in 1935 as a builder - building what are now called the “old houses”. He was elected to the M.A.C. in 1938 and represented his section faithfully until he was called up for the R.A.F. in 1941. He served as a corporal in the security police until Christmas 1945, and was re-elected to the committee in 1946.